Designing for Manufacturability – Part 2: Design Needs
In Part 1 of our Designing for Manufacturability Blog Series we discussed the practical considerations to keep in mind when designing a product. In today’s blog, we will begin our conversation on design considerations. More specifically, we will be discussing how to determine your design needs; the why, where, and how (your product will be used).
To clarify the needs of your product, it’s important to define the following:
- Function: What is the product designed to do? Why does it exist?
- User: Who will be using the product? Is it a product that will not have any human interface? Is it a component part in a machine? Or is it a product that is interfaced every day with a human being? Additionally, is that person an engineer, a senior citizen, or a child?
- Motion: Is there a lot of motion? Is it something that turns on and off/rotate constantly? Are there wear factors that need to be considered?
- Life expectancy: How long will it need to last? Is it difficult to assess and replace if needed? Is it designed to be maintained?
- Environment: Are there harsh conditions (ie. Temperatures, chemicals)?
- Frequency: Will the product be used every day? Or will it sit dormant for a long period of time?
Once all the needs are identified, you will need to consider which material(s) your product will be made of. Check back next week for insight on how to do just that!
Can’t wait and want to view the training in full? Click here.
Read Other Blog Posts:
A Guide to Rubber - Components of A Rubber Compound In part 1 of our “Guide to Rubber” series, we provided a general overview of rubber. If you recall, we discussed the need to crosslink rubber to develop the toughness and strength that is associated with rubber...
A Guide to Rubber - An Overview The two biggest decisions in any rubber molding project are selecting the final design and choosing the appropriate material to achieve the desired functionality of the component. To do the latter, it is important that one has a general...
MDM West - Exceeding Expectations Reflecting on my time at Medical Design and Manufacturing West 2019, I can truly say that the experience was nothing short of amazing. I had researched the show prior to going and had a good idea of what to expect, but no amount of...