Designing for Manufacturability – Part 2: Design Needs
In Part 1 of our Designing for Manufacturability Blog Series we discussed the practical considerations to keep in mind when designing a product. In today’s blog, we will begin our conversation on design considerations. More specifically, we will be discussing how to determine your design needs; the why, where, and how (your product will be used).
To clarify the needs of your product, it’s important to define the following:
- Function: What is the product designed to do? Why does it exist?
- User: Who will be using the product? Is it a product that will not have any human interface? Is it a component part in a machine? Or is it a product that is interfaced every day with a human being? Additionally, is that person an engineer, a senior citizen, or a child?
- Motion: Is there a lot of motion? Is it something that turns on and off/rotate constantly? Are there wear factors that need to be considered?
- Life expectancy: How long will it need to last? Is it difficult to assess and replace if needed? Is it designed to be maintained?
- Environment: Are there harsh conditions (ie. Temperatures, chemicals)?
- Frequency: Will the product be used every day? Or will it sit dormant for a long period of time?
Once all the needs are identified, you will need to consider which material(s) your product will be made of. Check back next week for insight on how to do just that!
Can’t wait and want to view the training in full? Click here.
Read Other Blog Posts:
On November 5th, the Panova team joined Nourish NJ in Morristown for their Sponsor the Day volunteer program. Nourish NJ promises a “unique opportunity to get involved while giving back to the community” and that is exactly what was delivered. The team spent the...
As the world of manufacturing grows more complex, and logistics become more challenging than ever, many organizations are exploring the advantages of partnering with a contract manufacturer; of which there are many! Contract manufacturing, also known as outsourcing,...
Love Care Lift - Military Care Packages It seems like May is the month of Love Care Lift at Panova! Our LCL initiative focuses on activities that provide inspiration and kindness with company partners and within the community. In line with this initiative, the team at...