Designing for Manufacturability – Part 2: Design Needs
In Part 1 of our Designing for Manufacturability Blog Series we discussed the practical considerations to keep in mind when designing a product. In today’s blog, we will begin our conversation on design considerations. More specifically, we will be discussing how to determine your design needs; the why, where, and how (your product will be used).
To clarify the needs of your product, it’s important to define the following:
- Function: What is the product designed to do? Why does it exist?
- User: Who will be using the product? Is it a product that will not have any human interface? Is it a component part in a machine? Or is it a product that is interfaced every day with a human being? Additionally, is that person an engineer, a senior citizen, or a child?
- Motion: Is there a lot of motion? Is it something that turns on and off/rotate constantly? Are there wear factors that need to be considered?
- Life expectancy: How long will it need to last? Is it difficult to assess and replace if needed? Is it designed to be maintained?
- Environment: Are there harsh conditions (ie. Temperatures, chemicals)?
- Frequency: Will the product be used every day? Or will it sit dormant for a long period of time?
Once all the needs are identified, you will need to consider which material(s) your product will be made of. Check back next week for insight on how to do just that!
Can’t wait and want to view the training in full? Click here.
Read Other Blog Posts:
The process of rubber molding has helped shape the way that we use rubber in today’s world. Rubber molding consists of shaping rubber into the desired shape. Following is a list of some of the technologies/molding practices used when creating rubber solutions....
Kevin English, Senior Account Executive, has been in the manufacturing industry for over 40 years. In honor of Manufacturing Day 2020, Panova's Marketing Specialist, Janette Mochnacz, sat down with our very own manufacturing expert in an effort to share his knowledge...
The COVID-19 Pandemic was an unexpected crisis that has deeply affected many organizations and as a company that prides itself on being client centric, Panova wants to do what we can to help you and your business. Whether you have been with us since we were AME...