Designing for Manufacturability – Part 2: Design Needs
In Part 1 of our Designing for Manufacturability Blog Series we discussed the practical considerations to keep in mind when designing a product. In today’s blog, we will begin our conversation on design considerations. More specifically, we will be discussing how to determine your design needs; the why, where, and how (your product will be used).
To clarify the needs of your product, it’s important to define the following:
- Function: What is the product designed to do? Why does it exist?
- User: Who will be using the product? Is it a product that will not have any human interface? Is it a component part in a machine? Or is it a product that is interfaced every day with a human being? Additionally, is that person an engineer, a senior citizen, or a child?
- Motion: Is there a lot of motion? Is it something that turns on and off/rotate constantly? Are there wear factors that need to be considered?
- Life expectancy: How long will it need to last? Is it difficult to assess and replace if needed? Is it designed to be maintained?
- Environment: Are there harsh conditions (ie. Temperatures, chemicals)?
- Frequency: Will the product be used every day? Or will it sit dormant for a long period of time?
Once all the needs are identified, you will need to consider which material(s) your product will be made of. Check back next week for insight on how to do just that!
Can’t wait and want to view the training in full? Click here.
Read Other Blog Posts:
With the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, many organizations are having to adjust their way of working. During times of change, and when your workforce needs to shift how it works, your culture may come under pressure. You may have individuals and teams working for...
As one of our valued clients, it is important that we keep you up to date with the current happenings here at Panova; therefore we are excited to introduce you to our two newest employees. Christen Holmberg, Director of Sales & Marketing Christen comes to us...
Welcome to "Panova Positivity!" We are happy to be sharing Some Good News from the Manufacturing Industry with all of you; because the world needs some positivity now more than ever! If you have any good news, stories, or experiences that you would like to share with...