Designing for Manufacturability – Part 4: The Process
Here we are. We have discussed, in the previous weeks, practical considerations; design needs; and materials to consider when designing for manufacturability.
In Part 4 of this series, we will be addressing the steps you should take to determine manufacturability.
Step 1: Clarify what you really need
- How will the product be used? By whom?
- Will it be subjected to a challenging environment? (i.e.: Under the hood of a car)
- What is the consequence if the product does not perform in use? (i.e.: Do you just have a dissatisfied customer or is it a product that can affect a person’s safety?)
- What are “must have” features for the product?
Step 2: Identify practical manufacturing constraints
- Is there a budget or cost limitation?
- When do you need it? How often?
- Is the product regulated or subject to exchange issues or tariffs?
- Do you have the capability and capacity to manufacture it yourself?
Step 3: Work with design partners to create specifications and manufacture the product.
- Determine reasonable quality specifications, testing protocols, and measurements.
- Select appropriate materials and location.
- Get cost and timing.
- Secure and oversee manufacturing.
Want even more insight? Download our training now.
Read Other Blog Posts:
As the world of manufacturing grows more complex, and logistics become more challenging than ever, many organizations are exploring the advantages of partnering with a contract manufacturer; of which there are many! Contract manufacturing, also known as outsourcing,...
Love Care Lift - Military Care Packages It seems like May is the month of Love Care Lift at Panova! Our LCL initiative focuses on activities that provide inspiration and kindness with company partners and within the community. In line with this initiative, the team at...
Love Care Lift - The Hoving Home In 2017, Panova launched Love Care Lift; an initiative that focuses on activities that provide inspiration and kindness with company partners and within the community. In line with this initiative, CEO & President, Ehren Dimitry,...