Designing for Manufacturability – Part 4: The Process
Here we are. We have discussed, in the previous weeks, practical considerations; design needs; and materials to consider when designing for manufacturability.
In Part 4 of this series, we will be addressing the steps you should take to determine manufacturability.
Step 1: Clarify what you really need
- How will the product be used? By whom?
- Will it be subjected to a challenging environment? (i.e.: Under the hood of a car)
- What is the consequence if the product does not perform in use? (i.e.: Do you just have a dissatisfied customer or is it a product that can affect a person’s safety?)
- What are “must have” features for the product?
Step 2: Identify practical manufacturing constraints
- Is there a budget or cost limitation?
- When do you need it? How often?
- Is the product regulated or subject to exchange issues or tariffs?
- Do you have the capability and capacity to manufacture it yourself?
Step 3: Work with design partners to create specifications and manufacture the product.
- Determine reasonable quality specifications, testing protocols, and measurements.
- Select appropriate materials and location.
- Get cost and timing.
- Secure and oversee manufacturing.
Want even more insight? Download our training now.
Read Other Blog Posts:
The process of rubber molding has helped shape the way that we use rubber in today’s world. Rubber molding consists of shaping rubber into the desired shape. Following is a list of some of the technologies/molding practices used when creating rubber solutions....
Kevin English, Senior Account Executive, has been in the manufacturing industry for over 40 years. In honor of Manufacturing Day 2020, Panova's Marketing Specialist, Janette Mochnacz, sat down with our very own manufacturing expert in an effort to share his knowledge...
The COVID-19 Pandemic was an unexpected crisis that has deeply affected many organizations and as a company that prides itself on being client centric, Panova wants to do what we can to help you and your business. Whether you have been with us since we were AME...