Designing for Manufacturability – Part 4: The Process
Here we are. We have discussed, in the previous weeks, practical considerations; design needs; and materials to consider when designing for manufacturability.
In Part 4 of this series, we will be addressing the steps you should take to determine manufacturability.
Step 1: Clarify what you really need
- How will the product be used? By whom?
- Will it be subjected to a challenging environment? (i.e.: Under the hood of a car)
- What is the consequence if the product does not perform in use? (i.e.: Do you just have a dissatisfied customer or is it a product that can affect a person’s safety?)
- What are “must have” features for the product?
Step 2: Identify practical manufacturing constraints
- Is there a budget or cost limitation?
- When do you need it? How often?
- Is the product regulated or subject to exchange issues or tariffs?
- Do you have the capability and capacity to manufacture it yourself?
Step 3: Work with design partners to create specifications and manufacture the product.
- Determine reasonable quality specifications, testing protocols, and measurements.
- Select appropriate materials and location.
- Get cost and timing.
- Secure and oversee manufacturing.
Want even more insight? Download our training now.
Read Other Blog Posts:
Technologies Used in Custom Rubber Molding Solutions
The process of rubber molding has helped shape the way that we use rubber in today’s world. Rubber molding consists of shaping rubber into the desired shape. Following is a list of some of the technologies/molding practices used when creating rubber solutions....
How to Maintain Company Culture & Productivity with a Remote Workforce
With the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, many organizations are having to adjust their way of working. During times of change, and when your workforce needs to shift how it works, your culture may come under pressure. You may have individuals and teams working for...
Panova Positivity Video Series
Welcome to "Panova Positivity!" We are happy to be sharing Some Good News from the Manufacturing Industry with all of you; because the world needs some positivity now more than ever! If you have any good news, stories, or experiences that you would like to share with...
Subscribe to our Blog!
Stay in the loop on the latest Panova news, trends in product development, case studies, and other stories on how we Simply Solve product design challenges. Sign up for new blog posts alerts today!