A Guide to Rubber – Components of A Rubber Compound
In part 1 of our “Guide to Rubber” series, we provided a general overview of rubber. If you recall, we discussed the need to crosslink rubber to develop the toughness and strength that is associated with rubber parts. This leads us to outlining the components of a rubber compound.
See below for the components and their definitions.
- Rubber base polymer
- Fillers: Fillers are typically carbon black, clay, or calcium carbonate. They are used to improve rubber product properties and reduce formulation costs. Fillers can increase tensile strength, hardness, and resistance to tear and abrasion.
- Process Aids: As the name implies, these aid in the processing of rubber; both in the mixing process and the molding process.
- Activator: Activators form chemical complexes with the accelerators, which further activate the curing process.
- Antidegradents: Antidegradents are added to protect rubber from oxidation, ozonation, and aging.
- Accelerator: Accelerators make the sulfur interlinking reaction occur faster and more efficiently.
- Cure Agent: The cure agent is usually sulfur, but peroxide is also often used.
Interested in learning more about the components of a rubber compound? Contact one of our specialists today!
Read Other Blog Posts:
The COVID-19 Pandemic was an unexpected crisis that has deeply affected many organizations and as a company that prides itself on being client centric, Panova wants to do what we can to help you and your business. Whether you have been with us since we were AME...
With the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, many organizations are having to adjust their way of working. During times of change, and when your workforce needs to shift how it works, your culture may come under pressure. You may have individuals and teams working for...
As one of our valued clients, it is important that we keep you up to date with the current happenings here at Panova; therefore we are excited to introduce you to our two newest employees. Christen Holmberg, Director of Sales & Marketing Christen comes to us...