A Guide to Rubber – Components of A Rubber Compound
In part 1 of our “Guide to Rubber” series, we provided a general overview of rubber. If you recall, we discussed the need to crosslink rubber to develop the toughness and strength that is associated with rubber parts. This leads us to outlining the components of a rubber compound.
See below for the components and their definitions.
- Rubber base polymer
- Fillers: Fillers are typically carbon black, clay, or calcium carbonate. They are used to improve rubber product properties and reduce formulation costs. Fillers can increase tensile strength, hardness, and resistance to tear and abrasion.
- Process Aids: As the name implies, these aid in the processing of rubber; both in the mixing process and the molding process.
- Activator: Activators form chemical complexes with the accelerators, which further activate the curing process.
- Antidegradents: Antidegradents are added to protect rubber from oxidation, ozonation, and aging.
- Accelerator: Accelerators make the sulfur interlinking reaction occur faster and more efficiently.
- Cure Agent: The cure agent is usually sulfur, but peroxide is also often used.
Interested in learning more about the components of a rubber compound? Contact one of our specialists today!
Read Other Blog Posts:
The process of rubber molding has helped shape the way that we use rubber in today’s world. Rubber molding consists of shaping rubber into the desired shape. Following is a list of some of the technologies/molding practices used when creating rubber solutions....
With the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, many organizations are having to adjust their way of working. During times of change, and when your workforce needs to shift how it works, your culture may come under pressure. You may have individuals and teams working for...
Welcome to "Panova Positivity!" We are happy to be sharing Some Good News from the Manufacturing Industry with all of you; because the world needs some positivity now more than ever! If you have any good news, stories, or experiences that you would like to share with...