A Guide to Rubber – Components of A Rubber Compound
In part 1 of our “Guide to Rubber” series, we provided a general overview of rubber. If you recall, we discussed the need to crosslink rubber to develop the toughness and strength that is associated with rubber parts. This leads us to outlining the components of a rubber compound.
See below for the components and their definitions.
- Rubber base polymer
- Fillers: Fillers are typically carbon black, clay, or calcium carbonate. They are used to improve rubber product properties and reduce formulation costs. Fillers can increase tensile strength, hardness, and resistance to tear and abrasion.
- Process Aids: As the name implies, these aid in the processing of rubber; both in the mixing process and the molding process.
- Activator: Activators form chemical complexes with the accelerators, which further activate the curing process.
- Antidegradents: Antidegradents are added to protect rubber from oxidation, ozonation, and aging.
- Accelerator: Accelerators make the sulfur interlinking reaction occur faster and more efficiently.
- Cure Agent: The cure agent is usually sulfur, but peroxide is also often used.
Interested in learning more about the components of a rubber compound? Contact one of our specialists today!
Read Other Blog Posts:
The process of rubber molding has helped shape the way that we use rubber in today’s world. Rubber molding consists of shaping rubber into the desired shape. Following is a list of some of the technologies/molding practices used when creating rubber solutions....
Kevin English, Senior Account Executive, has been in the manufacturing industry for over 40 years. In honor of Manufacturing Day 2020, Panova's Marketing Specialist, Janette Mochnacz, sat down with our very own manufacturing expert in an effort to share his knowledge...
The COVID-19 Pandemic was an unexpected crisis that has deeply affected many organizations and as a company that prides itself on being client centric, Panova wants to do what we can to help you and your business. Whether you have been with us since we were AME...