A Guide to Rubber – Components of A Rubber Compound
In part 1 of our “Guide to Rubber” series, we provided a general overview of rubber. If you recall, we discussed the need to crosslink rubber to develop the toughness and strength that is associated with rubber parts. This leads us to outlining the components of a rubber compound.
See below for the components and their definitions.
- Rubber base polymer
- Fillers: Fillers are typically carbon black, clay, or calcium carbonate. They are used to improve rubber product properties and reduce formulation costs. Fillers can increase tensile strength, hardness, and resistance to tear and abrasion.
- Process Aids: As the name implies, these aid in the processing of rubber; both in the mixing process and the molding process.
- Activator: Activators form chemical complexes with the accelerators, which further activate the curing process.
- Antidegradents: Antidegradents are added to protect rubber from oxidation, ozonation, and aging.
- Accelerator: Accelerators make the sulfur interlinking reaction occur faster and more efficiently.
- Cure Agent: The cure agent is usually sulfur, but peroxide is also often used.
Interested in learning more about the components of a rubber compound? Contact one of our specialists today!
Read Other Blog Posts:
Love Care Lift - The Hoving Home In 2017, Panova launched Love Care Lift; an initiative that focuses on activities that provide inspiration and kindness with company partners and within the community. In line with this initiative, CEO & President, Ehren Dimitry,...
A Guide to Rubber - Materials Previously in our "Guide to Rubber" series we provided a general overview of rubber and then discussed - in detail - the components of a rubber compound. In today's post, we will be focusing on the variety of rubber materials available...
A Guide to Rubber - An Overview The two biggest decisions in any rubber molding project are selecting the final design and choosing the appropriate material to achieve the desired functionality of the component. To do the latter, it is important that one has a general...